Château Mouton Rothschild
Château Mouton Rothschild is the most gregarious and extravagant of the Médoc's first growth châteaux. Mouton not only makes fine red wine but great theatre too – from its golden statues, fine art and museum – to the ever changing label on the bottle.
The Mouton estate has been under Rothschild ownership for over 150 years. In 1945, to commemorate victory in WWII, the Baron commissioned artist Philippe Jullian to design a label, which included a V for Victory, and each year since an artist is commissioned to design a label, including Chagal, Miro, Dali, Bacon and Picasso, for which they are paid 5 cases of the vintage they were depicting and 5 cases of an older vintage.
It was also the unremitting efforts of the flamboyant Baron Philippe de Rothschild that resulted in Mouton's historical upgrade to premier Grand cru status in 1973 – the only change ever made to the Bordeaux classification.
The estate was named Mouton Rothschild in 1853 when Nathaniel de Rothschild purchased what was then Brane Mouton from Isaac Thuret, who followed the custom of the day, renaming the property using his name together with part of the original name.
Today, Château Mouton Rothschild’s 83 hectares of vineyards are planted to 81% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, 3% Cabernet Franc and 1% Petit Verdot. Mouton produces four wines: the grand vin itself; the second wine Le Petit Mouton de Mouton Rothschild which takes its name from the official residence of the Baroness and her family; the third wine Baron Nathaniel, and a dry, white Bordeaux wine, Aile d’Argent.