Château Lafite Rothschild
Château Lafite Rothschild earned its reputation in the late 17th century and within a century, Lafite had an international following, including Thomas Jefferson. Baron James de Rothschild bought Lafite in 1868 and, with the exception of WWII, it has been under the control of the Rothschild family ever since.
The Château is built upon the fine gravel soils and sand of the Haut-Médoc, comprising three major vineyard sites: the hillsides around the Château, those adjacent to the Carruades plateau and neighbouring Saint-Estèphe. There is little to no application of chemical fertilisers at this grand first growth Château and very sparse use of organic fertiliser.
Visiting Lafite Rothschild is always a highlight of our Bordeaux field trips. Unlike certain other growths, Lafite Rothchild's fine red wines always live up to its reputation (even in tricky years), and it is the most consistent of Bordeaux’ first growths. Carruades de Lafite is the second wine of Château Lafite Rothschild.