Rustenberg, R M Nicholson, Stellenbosch, South Africa
Blackcurrant aromas are complemented by scents of dried herbs and notes of black pepper and spice, followed by a palate with a smooth finish.
Rustenberg has a wine-growing history dating back to 1682, when Roelof Pasman from Meurs, near the Rhine, recognised its wine-growing potential. By 1781 some 3000 cases of wine were produced on the farm. Production doubled by the end of the century and a new cellar was built. Wine has been bottled at this cellar for an unbroken period since 1892. In the early 1800s Rustenberg was divided by owner Jacob Eksteen and a section was given to his son-in-law, who named it Schoongezicht and sold it soon after. Rustenberg and Schoongezicht were at their peak around 1812, with beautiful homesteads and flourishing vineyards. Schoongezicht was rescued in 1892 by John X Merriman, and Rustenberg by his brother-in-law Sir Jacob Barry. Together they revitalised the farms. Fruit was sent to Covent Garden; new vines were grafted onto disease-resistant American rootstock; wines were exported to England and the Continent – and even found in Siberia. In 1941 Peter and Pamela Barlow bought Rustenberg, later acquiring Schoongezicht and reuniting the properties. Their son Simon took over the running of the farm in 1987. Simon’s son, Murray, joined in the running of the farm with his father in 2012. The Barlows have been at Rustenberg for over 75 years: the longest period any one family has owned the farm.
Named after a former Rustenberg owner-winemaker, Reginald (Reg) Merriman Nicholson, who lived and worked on the farm for 30 years. Blackcurrant aromas are complemented by scents of dried herbs and notes of black pepper and spice, followed by a palate with serious structure from the Bordeaux varieties (30% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon) and finishing off with softness from 50% Shiraz.