Penfolds St Henri is part of Penfolds 'Icon and Luxury Range' - a traditional style first created in the early 1950s, and unlike Penfolds Grange it does not use new oak. The St Henri is characterised by its rich, plush texture when young, gaining soft, earthy, mocha-like characters as it ages. The small proportion of Cabernet in the blend is used to provide structure.
The origins of the Penfolds estate are set firmly in the medical sphere, and its reputation built up over the course of the 19th century based on the production of wines (often fortified) which were prescribed to patients by Dr Christopher Rawson Penfold who had settled in South Australia from Brighton in 1844.
From the 1940s onwards the focus shifted in favour of producing table wines, and in 1951 the legendary chief winemaker Max Schubert began experimenting with the idea of making a long-lived red wine called Grange. The rest, as they say, is history.