Dufouleur Frères’ Clos Vougeot is the archetypal Burgundian Grand Cru.
Acclaimed world-wide, these 50 walled hectares are the legacy of the Cistercian monks who planted the vines and built the château. A property of the family for almost a century now, the parcel worked by Maison Dufouleur Frères is located in the Les Grands Maupertuis, in the higher - therefore better quality - area of the clos. The vines, with an average of more than 40 years, produce small concentrated grapes rich in polyphenols, resulting in a powerful yet refined wine.
The Dufouleur family has a long history of winemaking in Burgundy and the family can be traced back to 1596 and the village of Nuits-Saint-Georges. The original family name fouleur literally means grape crusher (depicted on the label), and this manual trade was practiced until the end of the 19th century.