Château Cos d'Estournel is known as a ‘a super second’ – a left bank Bordeaux growth that is working at a quality level equal to, or approaching, that of a first growth. In fact, Cos d'Estournel consistently produces some of the finest wines in the entire left bank of Bordeaux.
Sited on a gravelly ridge (70 hectares), overlooking the Pauillac-Saint-Estèphe border and the vineyards of Lafite, the magnificent château (boasting an oriental facade carved from golden sandstone) is a fitting monument to its wines – which are more elegant (yet powerful) and less angular than its neighbours, due to a high percentage of Merlot in its blends.
Much of today's golden sandstone (and rather exotic) architecture is down to the flamboyant Louis Gaspard d'Estournel who transformed the estate in the 19th century and died just before the estate was classified as a second growth in the 1855 Bordeaux classification. The château is currently under the ownership of Merlaut family (of the Taillan Group), aided by Jean-Guillaume Prats (of the Prats family who formerly owned the château).
Château Cos d'Estournel is the estate's first wine, Les Pagodes de Cos is the second wine.