Château Pichon Longueville (Comtesse de) Lalande is a Bordeaux second growth situated in the left bank appellation of Pauillac.
Pichon Longueville's soft, fleshy 'feminine' style wines are renowned for their longevity (despite a relatively high Merlot content) and consistent excellence.
The château dates back to the 17th century, when entrepreneurs transformed the blank canvas that was then the Médoc into vineyards. One such property was created by Pierre de Mazure de Rauzan, whose name came later when his daughter, Thérèse, married Jacques de Pichon Longueville, the first President of the Parlement de Bordeaux.
In 1850 the Baron Joseph de Pichon Longueville decided to share the domain between his children, and the estate was divided into Château Pichon-Longueville Baron and Château Pichon Longueville (Comtesse de) Lalande; the latter being bought by Edouard and Louis Miailhe in 1925.
It was under Edouard's daughter, May Eliane de Lencquesain (known as La General) who took over in the late 70s, that Pichon Lalande acquired the status of a super second and a near first growth. May Eliane revived the tradition of the Comtesse de Lalande, personally overseeing the management of the family domain with her passion for wine and strict management. During thirty years she brought worldwide renown to this growth.
In 2006, Lencquesain sold a majority interest to the Rouzaud family who also own Louis Roederer.